Suspect in 70 San Fernando Valley burglaries arrested

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — A man suspected of robbing more than 70 businesses in the San Fernando Valley since the pandemic began is in custody, the Los Angeles Police Department announced Thursday.

In announcing the arrest of sixty-two-year-old Reuben Newhouse, police suggested the case had been solved with a bit of luck and the help of an astute citizen. The LAPD planned to release more details at an afternoon press conference.

Newhouse was arrested March 1 and was being held on $505,000 bail, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Find out what’s happening in Studio Citywith free real-time Patch updates.

“From October 29, 2020 through February 25, 2022, Newhouse was responsible for more than 70 commercial burglaries in the Valley, including 26 in North Hollywood,” an LAPD statement read.

Most of the crimes were committed between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m., and the image of the suspect was recorded on a number of security videos, police said.

Find out what’s happening in Studio Citywith free real-time Patch updates.

“Criminal alerts and community alerts were broadcast throughout the valley with no leads until a concerned citizen discovered evidence on the side of the road,” police said. “Evidence led North Hollywood burglary detectives to Newhouse’s residence.”

City and Patch News Service member Paige Austin contributed to this report.

To request removal of your name from an arrest report, submit these required elements for arrestreports@patch.com.

Response rules:

  • Be respectful. It is a space for friendly local exchanges. No racist, discriminatory, vulgar or threatening language will be tolerated.
  • Be transparent. Use your real name and back up your claims.
  • Keep it local and relevant. Make sure your answers stay on topic.
  • Review the Patch Community Rules.